Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Roommates and Gender Performance

Happy Tuesday! For my second blog post, I would like to focus on one personal experience of gender performance in the media. It would be helpful to view the media before reading on, so I have enclosed the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N5_i4cC6ls I believe the commercial was originally aired sometime in the fall of last year.

To preface this post, I would like to explain the reason this commercial has gained my attention in the first place. I live with two roommates, one male (Jason) and one female (Kim,) who both have a bachelors degree from UW-LaCrosse and Marquette University, respectfully. When we saw the commercial for the first time, we all happened to be watching TV and Jason and Kim started a small discussion about the boy's selection of toys. During the first couple scenes, Kim mentioned, “apparently this boy is playing 'house' by himself.” After the boy realizes his father came home, Jason remarked, ”Oh now he's got to explain why he was playing with Barbies.” I sat quietly and listened to the dialogue but ultimately never gave my opinion on the commercial at the time; I tend to remain relatively unbiased towards petty debates. I would assume the boy has a sister for the female gendered toys to be present in the first place so if I was his father, I wouldn't think twice about him playing with a pink horse trailer, purple-haired dolls, or Barbie houses.

One of the comments posted on YouTube was, “I never understood why the kid is playing with girl's toys... maybe he has a sister? But at the end of the commercial it's just him, his mom and dad outside... no sister... I guess he's confused about his sexuality.” Another post commented, “I think it's great that they show a little boy defying gender stereotypes and playing with both trucks and dolls in the innocent way all kids can. Good job Chevy!”

So what do you think? If you were a parent of a young boy about his age, do you think you would notice his gender performance, or would you dismiss the concept as young innocence? If he was playing with the toys and a girl about the same age was in the room with him, would the context of the boy's gender performance change?

1 comment:

  1. I see nothing wrong with the commercial. I believe that young children should be able to play with anything that makes them happy. Who cares if a boy is playing with a Barbie?? Who cares if a girl is playing with dinosaurs?? All that is important is that they are happy. I would probably take notice of the gender performance but would not say anything like, "Oh son, how about you play with those trucks" or "Sweetie, you are a girl and should be playing with ponies, not monster trucks". It amazes me how many parents will say that to their children and think nothing of it but it is how society should be. It just simply amazes me...

    ReplyDelete