Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election and Michelle Obama


Happy Election Day! I've never been so happy for the first Tuesday of November in my entire life. Republican and Democratic parties have been doing whatever it takes to sway the voters right up until the last minute. The internet, radio ads, billboards, door handle fliers, junk-mail, and social networking websites to name a few, have been blasting information regarding the election. I mean, despite the fact I have no land-line phone hooked up, both parties frequently try to call the house unsuccessfully (the number shows up on the TV screen.) It's a little disgusting.

Last week as I was going through my news feed on Facebook, I came across a picture and it got me thinking about a blog post idea...


Considering it is the year 2012, it's about time we had a female president. So what about Michelle Obama? She is a “heavy hitter” when it comes to supporting her husband's campaign, as well as taking matters of civil duty into her own hands. She frequently speaks across the nation about her project of childhood obesity awareness. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/14/us/14michelle.html?_r=0 She is a very effective speaker, well educated, passionate, and in touch with the real issues of Americans. Prior to Barack's presidency, Michelle was earning a significantly higher income than he was (almost twice as much.)

In short, I think she is just as capable of running the United States as Barack. In actuality, Michelle Obama's ratings are more favorable than her husband's. http://www.gallup.com/poll/117232/Michelle-Obama-Favorable-Rating-Eclipses-Husband.aspx Whether it be Michelle or another candidate, in the days of increasing gender equality, I'm confidently sure I will see a female president in my lifetime.

Michelle is clearly an influential leader across the nation, a feminist icon, and definitely a positive role model for women. I think she has an uncanny ability to standout and create an awareness of the issues most important to her. Since she is the first African American first lady of the United States – it is this position which allows her to propagate and evoke change in race and women’s oppression.


No comments:

Post a Comment